In order to provide economic opportunity for the residents and businesses, and stimulate economic development in the San Francisco Bay Area Region, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC), the Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA) and the Bay Area Infrastructure Financing Authority (BAIFA) have established Construction Project Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Programs and the Professional Services SBE Pilot Programs to assist SBE firms in participating in MTC, BATA and BAIFA's contract opportunities. These Programs are aimed at using the power of the public purse to stimulate economic development.
The objectives of the Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Programs include:
- To increase the number of certified SBEs participating in non-federally funded construction and professional services contracts;
- To increase overall competition on non-federally funded construction and professional services contracts potentially allowing for the completion of projects at a lower overall cost;
- To create a level playing field on which SBEs can compete fairly on non-federally funded construction and professional services contracts;
- To confirm that only firms (prime of subcontractor) certified by the State of California as SBEs per the requirements listed at www.dgs.ca.gov/PD/Services/Page-Content/Procurement-Division-Services-List-Folder/Certify-or-Re-apply-as-Small-Business-Disabled-Veteran-Business-Enterprise are eligible for the bid preference allowed under the Program; and
- To help remove barriers to the participation of SBEs in non-federally funded construction and professional services contracts.
The Director of Administrative Services Section (ADS), has been designated as the SBE Liaison Officer (SBELO). In that capacity, Director of ADS is responsible for implementing all aspects of the Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Programs.
For more information on the Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Programs, contact: Michael Brinton, Assistant Director, Contract Compliance Manager, at (415) 778-6727 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit our administrative office at 375 Beale Street, San Francisco, CA 94105.