The Bay Area’s population is growing, in urban neighborhoods particulalry – and the regional transit network must expand to keep up with this growth.
The challenge is to balance the need for growth with the need to take care of our existing transit systems.
MTC's Regional Transit Expansion Program – or Resolution 3434 – identifies the top priorities for new Bay Area transit projects. And it helps the region compete with other metro areas for state and federal funding.
Several Regional Transit Expansion Program projects are now under construction:
- AC Transit Oakland-San Leandro Bus Rapid Transit
- BART to Warm Springs/Milpitas/San Jose
- e-BART extension in East Contra Costa County
- Muni Central Subway
- Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit
- Transbay Transit Center
Search our library and use keyword “3434” for additional planning information.
Among the many Regional Transit Expansion Program projects already in service are:
- BART-Oakland Airport Connector
- Caltrain Baby Bullet
- Capitol Corridor and ACE Service Expansions
- San Francisco Bay Ferry Service Expansion
- Regional Express Bus
A handful of Resolution 3434 projects are still several years away from completion:
- Caltrain electrification
- Caltrain extension to Transbay Transit Center
- Dumbarton Rail
- Muni Bus Rapid Transit