The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) and the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) launched a new joint program – the Bay Area Metro Awards – in September, 2018. Previously each agency had separate programs. The following is information on the previous MTC awards program, which began in 1977 and was last held it in 2016.
MTC's Transportation Awards recognized people and organizations who made extraordinary contributions to the way people get around in the Bay Area.
For over three decades, MTC honored the day-to-day and long-term efforts to improving transportation in our region.
MTC typically honored:
- Transportation employees who excelled at their jobs and went above the call of duty, or showed long-term, steadfast leadership in their profession.
- Innovative activities that promoted more efficient use of the transportation network.
- Citizens or organizations who made significant efforts to inform and educate the public about transportation issues.
- Successful efforts that improved transit service and encouraged the use of alternatives to driving alone.
- A person or organization whose efforts resulted in significant improvement in transportation services for the elderly or people with disabilities.
- Extraordinary accomplishments in the field of community service, volunteerism, advocacy, leadership or minority affairs.
Winners were selected by a jury representing MTC and members of the public.
Learn about the winners of the 2016 Excellence in Motion Awards.
MTC's YouTube channel includes an overview of the 2014 Excellence in Motion award presentation as well as in-depth profiles of individual honorees.