An AC Transit bus on Telegraph Avenue

Transportation Investment Strategy

Over the next 24 years, the region can expect to have approximately $303 billion in revenues available for its transportation needs. These revenues come from a variety of different federal, state, regional, local and other sources, as seen in the figure below. 

Only about 25 percent of these anticipated revenues will come from federal or state sources. The remainder, or approximately 75 percent, will come from regional and local sources. The revenues include approximately $11 billion approved by Bay Area voters in the November 2016 election, including the BART bond, the Santa Clara County sales tax and the AC Transit parcel tax.

The Preferred Scenario proposes that the vast majority of these funds be spent on operating, maintaining, and modernizing the Bay Area's transportation system. As seen below, the Scenario dedicates approximately 90 percent of its anticipated revenues, or $273 billion, towards these needs versus 10 percent, or $30 billion, on system expansion. 

This is in keeping with the region's emphasis on "fix-it-first" and maintaining the system in a state of Good Repair. The below table highlights key project types that will be supported by the regional transportation investment strategy. 

Three areas are expected to be a particular focus of future transportation investments: further reducing greenhouse gas emissions, facilitating sustainable goods movement and improving transit capacity in the region's core employment and population centers.