Priority Development Area (PDA) Grants
To meet the region’s long-range goals of reduced greenhouse gas emissions and more affordable housing for all, MTC funds plans and offers technical assistance to locally nominated Priority Development Areas (PDAs).
The 2022-2023 application window for PDA Planning Grants is now closed.
PDA Planning Program Grants: 2022-2023 Applications Now Closed
Local governments seeking support to complete, update or implement a plan for a PDA were encouraged to apply for a PDA Planning Grant. The application period closed on February 23, 2023.
- Download the Applicant Guide
- Watch the webinar recording for grant applicants
- View the webinar presentation
What Type of Funding is Available?
Funding is available for three types of planning activities. See the Applicant guide for more detailed information about requirements.
- Plans: Specific, precise or similar plan.
- Maximum grant award: $1.2 million.
- Plan amendments: Amendments to an adopted plan, including one or both of the following:
- Amending one or more section of the plan, making any required zoning and general plan amendments, and completing any supplemental environmental analysis that is needed as a result of the amendment.
- Add one or more sections to the plan to address an emerging issue that is critical to the plan area, or to meet the PDA planning requirements.
- Maximum grant award: $600,000.
- Plan implementation: Technical assistance to develop and adopt policies or programs that facilitate the implementation of an adopted plan; may be applicable to two or more PDAs.
- Maximum grant award: $200,000.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Local governments with land use authority over a PDA may apply for up to two total grants.
Applications were due February 23, 2023.
Past Planning Program Grant Awards
In May 2021, MTC Resolution No. 4202, Revised approved $6.7 million in planning grants to local governments as part of the One Bay Area Grant Program (OBAG2). View the list of these and previous PDA Planning grant awards.
Mark Shorett, PDA Program Manager
Phone: (415) 820-7994