One Bay Area Grant 3 (OBAG 3)
The One Bay Area Grant, now in its third iteration, guides how MTC distributes federal transportation funding from the Federal Highway Administration to projects and programs that improve safety, spur economic development and help the Bay Area meet climate change and air quality improvement goals.
The third round of One Bay Area Grant funding (OBAG 3) was adopted by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission in January 2022 and includes more than $750 million in federal funding for projects from 2023 to 2026.
The OBAG 3 program is divided into a Regional Program, managed by MTC, and a County & Local Program, managed by MTC in partnership with the nine Bay Area County Transportation Agencies (CTAs).
View MTC Resolution 4505 (in the Related Documents section of this page) for complete OBAG 3 Program details. Additional funds are anticipated from the 2021 Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) and will be programmed through the OBAG 3 framework after regional apportionment amounts are made available.
Regional Program Details
- $375 million over 4 years
- Funds will be targeted to address critical climate and focused growth goals of Plan Bay Area 2050, and used to coordinate and deploy strategies that are best suited for regional implementation, such as:
- Climate Initiatives
- Transformational Transit Action Plan near-term investments
- Near-term multimodal operational improvements, such as Bay Bridge Forward
- Priority Development Areas (PDAs), Priority Conservation Areas (PCAs), and other new growth geographies planning and implementation
- Complete Streets Policy and Regional Active Transportation Plan
- Regional Safety/Vision Zero Policy
- Pavement Management Program
County & Local Program Details
In response to MTC’s regional call for projects (expected May 2022), County Transportation Agencies (CTAs) will conduct countywide outreach and initial project prioritization and submit a project nomination list for consideration by MTC (by September 2022). MTC staff will evaluate CTA nominations using regional criteria and recommend a subset of projects for OBAG 3 funding to the Commission in January 2023.
- $375 million over 4 years
- MTC’s regional call for projects is expected May 2022
- Funds will be available for a wide range of project types, and projects in Priority Development Areas (PDAs)
- County Transportation Agencies (CTAs) will assist with countywide outreach and initial project prioritization, and submit a project nomination list to MTC for consideration
Partner Agency Resources
The following resources are provided to assist program partners in understanding and complying with OBAG 3 policies and requirements. Additional resources will be added as program areas are developed.
Guidance & Templates
- County & Local Program Call for Projects Guidelines
- CTA Application Template
Supplemental Project Inputs for Air Quality Improvement Calculations (pending)
OBAG 3 Checklist for CTA Compliance with Resolution No. 4505 (pending)
OBAG 3 Checklist for Local Compliance with Resolution No. 4505 (pending)
Sample Resolution of Local Compliance with State Housing Law (pending)
- Priority Conservation Area (PCA) Information and Maps
- Priority Development Area (PDA) Map
- Priority Development Area (PDA) One-Mile Buffer Map
- California Surplus Land Act
- Caltrans HPMS Workshop Presentations (March 2017)
- FHWA HPMS Website
- Caltrans HPMS Website
OBAG 3 Funding Supports the Regional Growth Framework
PCAs help protect natural habitats and preserve open space for future generations.
PDA transportation investments help build sustainable communities near public transit.
OBAG 3 Funding Supports Climate Protection Programs
Thomas Arndt, Funding Policy & Programs
Phone: (415) 820-7983
Visit the county transportation agency websites below to see call for project applications.
- Alameda County Transportation Commission
- City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County
- Contra Costa Transportation Authority
- Napa Valley Transportation Authority
- San Francisco County Transportation Authority
- Solano Transportation Authority
- Sonoma County Transportation Authority
- Transportation Authority of Marin
- Valley Transportation Authority