One Bay Area Grant 3 (OBAG 3)
The One Bay Area Grant, now in its third iteration, guides how MTC distributes federal transportation funding from the Federal Highway Administration to projects and programs that improve safety, spur economic development and help the Bay Area meet climate change and air quality improvement goals.
The third round of One Bay Area Grant funding (OBAG 3) was adopted by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission in January 2022 and includes more than $750 million in federal funding for projects from 2023 to 2026.
The OBAG 3 program is divided into a Regional Program, managed by MTC, and a County & Local Program, managed by MTC in partnership with the nine Bay Area County Transportation Agencies (CTAs).
View MTC Resolution 4505 for complete OBAG 3 Program details.
Regional Program Details
- $375 million over 4 years
- Funds are targeted to address critical climate and focused growth goals of Plan Bay Area 2050, and used to coordinate and deploy strategies that are best suited for regional implementation, such as:
- Climate Initiatives
- Transformational Transit Action Plan near-term investments
- Near-term multimodal operational improvements, such as Bay Bridge Forward
- Priority Development Areas (PDAs), Priority Conservation Areas (PCAs), and other new growth geographies planning and implementation
- Complete Streets Policy and Regional Active Transportation Plan
- Regional Safety/Vision Zero Policy
- Pavement Management Program
County & Local Program Details
In response to MTC’s regional call for projects in May 2022, County Transportation Agencies (CTAs) conducted countywide outreach and initial project prioritization and submitted a project nomination list for consideration by MTC (in September 2022). MTC staff evaluated CTA nominations using regional criteria and recommended a subset of projects for OBAG 3 funding to the Commission in January 2023. Key program features include:
- $383 million over 4 years
- Funding for local-priority projects nominated by CTAs and selected by MTC
- Supports a wide range of project types, and projects in Priority Development Areas (PDAs)
Partner Agency Resources
The following resources are provided to assist program partners in understanding and complying with OBAG 3 policies and requirements. Additional resources will be added as program areas are developed.
Guidance & Templates
- County & Local Program Call for Projects Guidelines
- CTA Application Template
- Priority Conservation Area (PCA) Information and Maps
- Priority Development Area (PDA) Map
- Priority Development Area (PDA) One-Mile Buffer Map
- California Surplus Land Act
- Caltrans HPMS Workshop Presentations (March 2017)
- FHWA HPMS Website
- Caltrans HPMS Website
- Federal Funding Eligibility for Green Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- Anticipated Local Grant Opportunities: OBAG 3 Regional Investment Strategy (Updated June 2023)
OBAG 3 Funding Supports the Regional Growth Framework
OBAG 3 Funding Supports Climate Protection Programs
Thomas Arndt, Funding Policy & Programs
Phone: (415) 820-7983
Visit the County Transportation Agency websites below to see information on each county's OBAG 3 call for projects (now closed).
- Alameda County Transportation Commission
- City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County
- Contra Costa Transportation Authority
- Napa Valley Transportation Authority
- San Francisco County Transportation Authority
- Solano Transportation Authority
- Sonoma County Transportation Authority
- Transportation Authority of Marin
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority