Carpool & Vanpool
MTC’s 511 program offers multiple ways to help you share a ride, including long-term carpools and vanpools.
511 can help you save time and money when you share a ride in the carpool lane or the express lane. It's easy to carpool or vanpool – click the links below for program details.
Dial 511. When you hear “Welcome to the Bay Area’s 511,” say "carpool" and be connected to an operator who will assist you.
A vanpool is a group of seven to 15 people commuting together with an unpaid driver. The Bay Area Vanpool program makes it easier and more rewarding to ride together by offering qualified vanpools:
- $500 off the monthly cost of vanpools rented from Commute with Enterprise
- Help finding vanpool seats and starting vanpools
- An "empty seat" subsidy for owner-operated vanpools
- Free bridge tolls for 11- to 15-passenger vanpools
- Help signing up for discounted parking in San Francisco and Oakland
Did You Know?
Vanpool vehicles can be rented through a third-party provider, such as Commute With Enterprise, be owned by an individual or provided by an employer.