Bay Trail Gap Closure Implementation Plan
The Bay Trail Gap Closure Implementation Plan (BTGCIP) sets priorities for future work to complete the vision of a 500-mile Bay Trail network around the bay.
In 2005, MTC and the Association of Bay Area Governments conducted an evaluation of the Bay Trail network, The San Francisco Bay Trail Project Gap Analysis Study. This study identified gaps in the Bay Trail network, scored and prioritized them, developed cost estimates for future construction, and presented an overall timeframe for completion of the full 500-mile vision of the Bay Trail.
The purpose of the BTGCIP is to build upon the work from 2005 to identify and evaluate existing missing segments of Bay Trail (trail gaps) and prioritize their construction in the remaining build-out of the Bay Trail. Expanding Bay Trail access to Equity Priority Communities is key to the success of this project.
- Center Equity Priority Communities in building out future segments of the Bay Trail
- Develop connections to parks and open space (e.g., Bay Area Ridge Trail, Water Trail, etc.)
- Provide access to transit and active transportation infrastructure (e.g., bike share)
- Preserve the shoreline environment
- Adapt to climate change and sea level rise
- Create a comfortable and convenient user experience
In general, the remaining segments are the most complicated due to a variety of factors such as: limited right-of-way, environmental barriers, conflicts with existing utilities and other structures, and/or boundaries that require interjurisdictional coordination.
Joel Shaffer, P.E., Associate Engineer/Planner – Active Transportation
Phone: (415) 778-5257
The BTGCIP kicked off in July 2022 and is expected to be completed within two years. Project deliverables will be posted on this page as they are completed.
The BTGCIP will include engagement activities with a variety of stakeholders: community members, agency staff and active transportation advocacy organizations. Engagement will occur in three phases:
- Existing Conditions & Prioritization Criteria: The project team will provide an overview of the project. Stakeholders will provide input on existing conditions and trail gaps, as well as input on draft prioritization criteria for ranking gap closure projects.
- Trail Gap Closure Projects & List: Stakeholders will review and comment on proposed trail gap closure projects and the draft prioritized project list.
- Concept Designs & Plan Document: Stakeholders will review and comment on draft concept designs for the highest-ranked gap closure projects and the draft plan document.
Engagement materials will be posted on this page.