Regional Communications Network
MTC is helping to develop a robust regional communications network for congestion management. By cutting down on traffic congestion, we can improve economic vitality and quality of life throughout the Bay Area.
Networked vehicles, traffic lights and roadways can prevent accidents and cut down on traffic congestion. A networked system requires a robust, reliable communications network.
Bay Area Regional Communications Infrastructure Strategic Investment Plan
With input from other agencies, MTC led the effort to create the Bay Area Regional Communications Infrastructure Strategic Investment Plan.
Potential use cases incorporated into the plan include, but are not limited to:
- Synchronized traffic signals across jurisdictions to enable better traffic flow
- Shared video feeds to monitor real time traffic conditions and make congestion mitigation decisions
- Regional control of traffic systems to respond and adjust signal timing in the event of an emergency or natural disaster
Bay Area Regional Communications Infrastructure Strategic Investment Plan: Download the complete plan.
This plan includes proposed projects to complete the regional communications backbone, and to connect multiple Points-of-Presence, Express Lanes and transportation centers to the regional communications network.
The plan will enable MTC, Caltrans and other stakeholders to develop a regional communications network that supports initiatives like managed lanes, Integrated Corridor Management and Smart Cities, as well as other advanced technologies yet to come.
Proposed projects are prioritized based on these factors:
- Availability of existing/planned infrastructure
- Ease of construction
- Congestion level
- Availability of potential funding sources
- Level of partner agencies' coordination
The plan also outlines best practices for sharing communications infrastructure.
Mario Ung, Associate Program Coordinator, Field Operations and Asset Management
Phone: (415) 778-6639
Smart Cities use wireless networks, connected infrastructure and shared data to improve traffic congestion, air quality and much more.
The vision of the Bay Area Regional Communications Infrastructure Strategic Investment Plan is to:
- Provide the technical and policy framework to develop a fast, reliable, redundant and cost-effective regional communications network that will enable the sharing of data, infrastructure and maintenance costs among project partners
- Support coordinated and interoperable transportation systems across multiple jurisdictions
- Facilitate technology-based strategies focused on enhancing safety, mobility, livability and economic vitality of communities throughout the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area
The Bay Area Regional Communications Infrastructure Strategic Investment Plan highlights benefits of a regional communications network at a regional and local level.
A shared communications network would result in long-term cost savings by leveraging investments made in existing infrastructure, and eliminating monthly recurring leased line costs.
Other benefits include:
- Decreased reliance on a single communications system owned by one agency
- Increased coverage and capacity
- Enhanced redundancy
The Bay Area Regional Communications Infrastructure Strategic Investment Plan is one of several projects under the Connected Bay Area Program.
The Connected Bay Area program currently serves to ensure the reliability and sustainability of a strong transportation management system that can serve as the foundation for future expansion, and to optimize the region’s investments across projects and systems.