Clipper® is the Bay Area’s all-in-one transit card, with discounts for youth, seniors, people with disabilities and people with low incomes.
Clipper is the Bay Area’s easiest way to pay for transit by bus, train or ferry. Accepted by all of the Bay Area’s 20+ different transit agencies, your Clipper card holds cash value, transit passes or a combination. Clipper can also be used to unlock Bay Wheels bike share bikes.
Clipper cards can be reloaded online, at self-service machines in stations and at terminals, and in person at transit agency ticket offices and Clipper Customer Service Centers.
Access for More Riders
Youth, seniors, riders with disabilities or low incomes all get a break with reduced fares and discounted passes. Apply for your discounted card and save every time you ride.
The next generation of Clipper – known as Clipper 2 – is coming in 2024. View the presentation and video recording of the September 8, 2023 Regional Network Management Committee meeting, which includes which includes details on:
- On-board card readers and driver units on public transit vehicles
- Clipper card readers at rail gates
- On-platform standalone card readers
- Customer service terminals
- Handheld retail and inspection devices
More Payment Options
- Plastic Clipper card
- Mobile wallet: Apple Pay or Google Pay
- Major contactless credit/debit card
- Account and fund balance management
- Customer service by phone or chat
- Discounts, promotions and equity programs
- Group travel options
- New ways to use Clipper as a payment option (paratransit, micromobility, etc.)
Clipper 2 Project Schedule
|Account-Based System Testing||2022-2023|
|Transition Pilot Test||2023-2024|
|Customer Transition from Clipper to Clipper 2||2024|