MTC identifies new transportation projects and programs — and invites prospective project sponsors to compete for funding.
MTC is always looking for new transportation projects and programs in which it can invest federal, state or regional funds.
We do this by issuing a Call for Projects — inviting prospective project sponsors to compete for grants or other funding.
Check this page regularly to learn about upcoming funding opportunities!
Who Can Apply for Funding?
Calls for Projects typically are reserved for cities, counties, county transportation agencies, transit agencies or other public agencies that have agreements in place with the California Department of Transportation to receive federal-aid funding.
But some Calls for Project are open to nonprofit organizations, through partnerships with public agencies.
Businesses, nonprofits and community groups may apply for funding opportunities geared toward public agencies — as long as they team with a public agency willing to serve as the project sponsor.
In these cases, the public agency would be the grant recipient, and could then subcontract with the private business or nonprofit.
Current Funding Opportunities
Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) Competitive Grants
See details for the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law competitive grants.
FTA Section 5311 Rural Operator Program
- FTA Section 5311 Call for Projects
- Attachment A1: FY19 5311 Project Justification Sheets (.XLXS)
- Attachment A2: FY20 5311 Project Justification Sheets (.XLXS)
- Attachment B: FTA Section 5311 Nonurbanized Area Formula Program Funding Objectives and Criteria
- Attachment C: FTA Section 5311 Rural Area Formula Funds Program Process and Timeline
- Attachment D: Map of Large Urbanized Areas
- Attachment E: Section 5311 - FY2019 & FY2020 Estimates by Operator
Additional Grant Programs
MTC routinely issues Calls for Projects through various funding programs. Check them out here on the website, including:
- Active Transportation Program
- Federal Transportation Administration Grants
- Housing Incentive Pool Grants
- Innovative Deployments to Enhance Arterials (IDEA)
- Innovative Deployments to Enhance Arterials Shared Automated Vehicles (IDEA SAV)
- Lifeline Transportation Program
- Local Parking Management Grant Program
- Program for Arterial System Synchronization (PASS)
- Pavement Management Technical Assistance Program (P-TAP)
- Priority Conservation Area Grants
- Priority Development Area Grants
- Transit Core Capacity Challenge Grants
Closed June 2021: Mobility Hubs Pilot Program
- Grant Program Guidelines
- Project Information Form
- For additional information, see the Mobility Hubs web page
Closed March 2021: Safe & Seamless Mobility Quick-Strike Program
- Safe & Seamless Mobility Call for Project Nomination Letters
- Grant Program Guidelines
- Project Information Form (.DOC)
- Local Agency Compliance Checklist (.DOC)