Napa Valley Forward
Napa Valley Forward is a road safety and improvement program. It also aims to provide workers in Napa Valley with better, faster and more affordable ways to get to work, including alternatives to driving alone.
Napa Valley Forward is a multi-part initiative to improve traffic congestion and safety along State Route 29 and along the Silverado Trail. It includes:
- A commuter e-bike/e-scooter voucher pilot program for employees of Napa businesses in the wine and hospitality industries
- Roadway/infrastructure improvements to increase safety and improve the flow of traffic
- A commuter program for employees of Napa businesses in the wine and hospitality industries
To take advantage of these programs, sign up for Napa Valley Forward through the Luum platform.
Commute E-Bike or E-Scooter Voucher Pilot Program
Commute E-Bike/E-Scooter Program Overview
In 2022, as part of the commuter program, Napa Valley Forward launched a pilot program where participants could purchase or lease an e-bike or e-scooter with a voucher rebate of up to $1,000. This program aims to encourage Napa Valley employees to use an e-bike or e-scooter to commute to work in order to reduce driving alone, and to encourage active, healthy living.
The program has stopped accepting applications as of November 2022. MTC is actively seeking options to relaunch another form of this program next year. Thank you for your continued interest and support.
Please check back for future updates.
MTC and the Napa Valley Transportation Authority (NVTA) are working together to deliver the SR-29 Napa Valley Forward Intersection Improvements at the following locations:
- Rutherford Road (State Route 121)
- Oakville Cross Road
- Madison Street
The project reviews a number of traffic management strategies, including traffic signals and roundabouts. These help manage traffic flow and address safety concerns, in order to reduce overall collisions on the corridor.
The total project cost is $20 million. Stakeholders from the hospitality industry and wineries are engaged in this project.
Infrastructure Staff Contact
Pamela Kwan, MTC Infrastructure Improvements: Intersections & Roundabouts
Phone: (415) 778-5378
Carpool/Vanpool Pilot for Local Businesses
Carpool/Vanpool Pilot Program Overview
Napa Valley Forward includes a two-year pilot program that encourages alternatives to driving alone.
This program for local businesses and their employees launched in early 2020, and is supported by funding from MTC as well as private-sector partners Napa Valley Vintners and Visit Napa Valley.
Carpool/Vanpool Pilot Program Objectives
- Move more people in fewer cars through Highway 29 and Silverado Trail
- Connect commuters with new technologies and new mobility options
- Give employers and employees tools and data to track and encourage “green” commuting — such as carpooling, vanpooling, biking, walking and taking transit
All Napa employers in the hospitality or winery industries are invited to participate. The program will help employers:
- Understand and manage employees’ transportation challenges
- Offer transportation options, quality of life benefits and cost savings for employees
- Attract and retain talent
- Address local congestion and parking limitations that affect both employees and guests
Employers are welcome to share their ideas to make the program even better by emailing staff contacts below.
How to Participate
Get travel information, details about carpools and vanpools and how to earn rewards. Find out which employers participate. (In Spanish and English.) Learn more at luum.com.
The following Napa employers are currently participating in the Napa Valley Forward Program:
- Auberge Resorts Collection
- Boisset Family Estates
- C. Mondavi & Family
- Cakebread Cellars
- Duckhorn Winery
- Embassy Suites
- Harvest Inn
- Joseph Phelps Vineyards
- Las Alcobas
- Long Meadow Ranch
- Meadowood Napa Valley
- Napa Valley Wine Train
- Opus One Winery
- Silver Oak Cellars
- Silverado Resort and Spa
- St. Supéry Estate Vineyards & Winery
- Trinchero Family Estates
- V. Sattui Winery
- Westin Verasa Napa
- Wheeler Farms Winery
MTC is leading the Napa Valley Forward initiative in coordination with Steer. Steer is working directly with employers during the pilot period to grow and refine the program. Luum provides technical support for the platform.