Napa Valley Forward
Napa Valley Forward reduces local traffic congestion and improves safety along State Route 29 and the Silverado Trail by improving the roadway and by encouraging alternatives to driving alone.
Napa Valley Forward is a two-part initiative to improve traffic congestion and safety along State Route 29 and along the Silverado Trail. It includes:
- Roadway improvements to increase safety and improve the flow of traffic
- A pilot carpool and vanpool program for employees of local businesses
MTC and the Napa Valley Transportation Authority (NVTA) are working together to deliver the SR-29 Napa Valley Forward Intersection Improvements at the following locations:
- Rutherford Road (State Route 121)
- Oakville Cross Road
- Madison Street
The project reviews a number of traffic management strategies, including traffic signals and roundabouts. These help manage traffic flow and address safety concerns, in order to reduce overall collisions on the corridor.
The total project cost is $20 million. Stakeholders from the hospitality industry and wineries are engaged in this project.
Pamela Kwan, MTC Infrastructure Improvements: Intersections & Roundabouts
Phone: (415) 778-5378
Carpool/Vanpool Pilot for Local Businesses
Napa Valley Forward includes a two-year pilot program that encourages alternatives to driving alone.
This program for local businesses and their employees launched in early 2020, and is supported by funding from MTC as well as private-sector partners Napa Valley Vintners and Visit Napa Valley.
- Move more people in fewer cars through Highway 29 and Silverado Trail
- Connect commuters with new technologies and new mobility options
- Give employers and employees tools and data to track and encourage “green” commuting — such as carpooling, vanpooling, biking, walking and taking transit
All Napa employers in the hospitality or winery industries are invited to participate. The program will help employers:
- Understand and manage employees’ transportation challenges
- Offer transportation options, quality of life benefits and cost savings for employees
- Attract and retain talent
- Address local congestion and parking limitations that affect both employees and guests
Employers are welcome to share their ideas to make the program even better by emailing staff contacts below.
Nicola Szibbo, MTC Program Manager
Phone: (415) 778-6720
Jenny Hong, Steer Program Administrator
The following Napa employers are currently participating in the Napa Valley Forward Program:
- Auberge Resorts Collection
- Boisset Family Estates
- C. Mondavi & Family
- Cakebread Cellars
- Duckhorn Winery
- Embassy Suites
- Harvest Inn
- Joseph Phelps Vineyards
- Las Alcobas
- Long Meadow Ranch
- Meadowood Napa Valley
- Napa Valley Wine Train
- Opus One Winery
- Silver Oak Cellars
- Silverado Resort and Spa
- St. Supéry Estate Vineyards & Winery
- Trinchero Family Estates
- V. Sattui Winery
- Westin Verasa Napa
- Wheeler Farms Winery
MTC is leading the Napa Valley Forward initiative in coordination with Steer. Steer is working directly with employers during the pilot period to grow and refine the program. Luum provides technical support for the platform.