MTC will open its new I-880 Express Lanes in the summer of 2020. Express Lanes use tolling and technology to keep traffic moving for carpoolers, bus riders and solo drivers alike. The toll system is being installed now, and testing will begin in spring 2020.
Before tolling starts, MTC’s Bay Area Infrastructure Financing Authority (BAIFA) affiliate must adopt rules for how tolling will work. For the I-880 Express Lanes, Caltrans already has determined that the hours of operation will be from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday; and that high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) eligibility will be three or more persons per vehicle.
BAIFA proposes to amend its existing Toll Facility Ordinance, which establishes tolls, penalties and toll evasion policies in the context of Caltrans hours of operation and HOV policies, to:
- Set tolling rules for the new I-880 Express Lanes, including a minimum toll of 50 cents per toll zone and scaled tolls where carpools with three or more people pay no toll; two-person carpools and clean air vehicles pay half-price tolls; and solo drivers pay the full toll; and
- Update tolling rules for the existing I-680 Contra Costa Express Lanes, including a minimum toll of 50 cents per toll zone and half-price tolls for clean air vehicles beginning when the I-880 Express Lanes open.
All vehicles in the Express Lanes will be required to have FasTrak®, and all vehicles eligible for toll-free travel or half-price tolls must use a properly set and mounted FasTrak Flex® toll tag. Vehicles without FasTrak® are subject to toll violations for the cost of the toll plus penalties. Read BAIFA’s proposed Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment for more details.
- (Propósito) AUTORIDAD DE FINANCIAMIENTO DE INFRAESTRUCTURA EN EL ÁREA DE LA BAHÍA ORDENANZA DE CAMINOS DE PEAJE
- (目的) 灣區基礎設施融資局 通行費設施法令
Bay Area commuters have many ways to learn about and comment on BAIFA’s proposed tolling rules:
- Submit comments and talk to staff in person at an open house in the I-880 corridor:
Tuesday, December 3, 2019
5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Kennedy Community Center
1333 Decoto Road
Union City, CA 94587
Wednesday, December 11, 2019
5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
San Lorenzo Library
395 Paseo Grande
San Lorenzo, CA 94580
- Learn more about the proposed Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment by watching a five-minute online open house video and then submit comments through a short online survey. The online comment window will be open from November 18th through December 18th
- Send comments by mail to the MTC’s Public Information Office at 375 Beale Street, Suite 800, San Francisco, CA 94105 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 18th
- Leave a comment in person at the Public Hearing
Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.
Bay Area Metro Center, 1st Floor, Board Room
375 Beale Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
All comments must be received by December 18, 2019 to be considered, and will be summarized for BAIFA Commissioners prior to an adoption vote on January 22, 2020.