Vital Signs is MTC’s interactive website that tracks data and trends in the Bay Area — to help plan for the future.
MTC is monitoring the Bay Area’s performance on a range of measures to better understand where the region is succeeding, and where it is falling short.
The Vital Signs website helps MTC and partner agencies make better decisions about transportation, land use, the environment and the economy.
MTC invites you to discover:
- Which freeway is the most congested?
- How many more people ride BART than AC Transit?
- Are potholes worse in my neighborhood than in other communities?
- Which cities and towns are permitting the most housing?
- How does housing affordability compare throughout the region?
- Which neighborhoods are hotspots for displacement risk?
- Has the air become cleaner over time?
- How does the Bay Area compare to other major metro areas?
Are you a student or researcher? Visit the Vital Signs data center and sort MTC information the way you need it. New data is added frequently.
MTC collects even more data that is publicly-accessible. Learn more about available spatial and modeling libraries.