MTC approved the 2021 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) and Transportation-Air Quality Conformity Analysis for the Amended Plan Bay Area 2040 and the 2021 TIP on February 24, 2021. The 2021 TIP is included in Caltrans’ 2021 Federal-Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (FSTIP) by reference. The 2021 FSTIP was approved by the State on April 1, 2020. FHWA and FTA approved the 2021 FSTIP on April 16, 2021.
The Transportation Improvement Program, or TIP, is a comprehensive four-year regional spending plan — and required by federal law.
But this just begins to tell the tale of the TIP. Here are nine more facts:
- MTC must adopt a new TIP at least once every four years; and the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) requires our region to update its TIP every two years.
- The Federal Highway Administration and the Federal Transit Administration must approve the TIP.
- The TIP lists all transportation projects and programs for which any action by a federal agency is expected — not just funding.
- The TIP includes major regional projects funded with local or state dollars, even those with no federal money.
- The TIP covers all modes — transit, highways, bridges, local streets and roads, bicycle, pedestrian, and freight movement projects.
- The TIP shows estimated project costs and schedules.
- All TIP projects must be covered by funds reasonably expected to be available in the four-year TIP period.
- Inclusion in the TIP does not guarantee that construction on a project will begin; and does not represent an allocation or obligation of funds.
- MTC encourages public comment on the TIP and any proposed revisions.
The TIP is frequently changed after adoption, with projects added or deleted; accelerated or delayed; re-scoped or re-phased.
The Bay Area’s 2021 TIP includes more than 330 transportation projects with more than $10.3 billion in committed federal, state, and local funding for federal fiscal years 2020-21 through 2023-24, as well as over 400 projects shown for informational purposes.
Search for TIP projects, generate reports and track funding.
Find TIP projects grouped by function, work type or geographical area.
Find TIP appendices.
Previous TIPs are archived in our online Digital Library. Just enter the key word TIP.