Bay Area voters, in good times and bad, have been willing to dig into their own pockets to pay for improvements to our regional transportation network.
Voters approved Regional Measure 2 (RM2) in 2004. The measure raised the toll price on the region’s seven state-owned toll bridges by $1.
Regional Measure 2 established a Regional Traffic Relief Plan. The plan helps pay for highway, transit, bicycle and pedestrian projects on and near the bridges. It also provides operating funds for key transit services.
Major capital projects receiving RM2 funding include:
- Caldecott Tunnel Fourth Bore
- Interstate 80/Interstate 680 interchange improvements
- State Route 4 widening and e-BART extension
- San Francisco Muni Central Subway
- San Francisco Transbay Transit Center
- BART Transbay Tube seismic retrofit
- BART-Oakland Airport connector
- BART Fremont-to-Warm Springs extension
RM2 operating funds are used to support:
- San Francisco Muni T-Third light rail
- AC Transit enhanced bus service on International Blvd. and Telegraph Ave.
- All-Nighter bus service on BART corridors
- San Francisco Bay Ferry
- Golden Gate Transit service over Richmond-San Rafael Bridge
- Napa VINE service to Vallejo intermodal terminal
- Clipper® transit-fare payment card
Sponsors of capital projects receiving RM2 funds include:
- California Department of Transportation
- Contra Costa Transportation Authority
- Golden Gate Transit
- San Francisco Muni
- Napa VINE
- Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART)
- Solano Transportation Authority
- Transportation Authority of Marin
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA)
If a project sponsor needs more than its RM2 allocation to complete a project phase, it is the sponsor’s sole responsibility to secure additional funds.
State law requires MTC to conduct a public hearing if:
- The sponsor cannot secure the extra funding, and/or
- The project cannot be segmented, phased or re-scoped to meet the available budget.
The Commission may vote after the hearing to:
- Modify the project scope, or
- Decrease its level of funding, or
- Reassign all RM2 funds to another project.