The Horizon initiative promotes the exploration of innovative strategies and solutions for issue areas that have been outside of the scope of past Plan Bay Area long-range planning processes. To delve into these topics and identify a toolbox of potential strategies for consideration in Horizon and Plan Bay Area 2050, MTC/ABAG is releasing a series of analyses called Perspective Papers in 2018 and 2019.
The primary objective of each Perspective Paper will be to identify high-impact policies related to that topic area that support the region’s Guiding Principles. To be released at events across the nine-county region, topics will include the following:
- Autonomous Vehicles: June 2018
- Toward a Shared Future: September 2018
- Regional Growth Strategies: February 2019
- The Future of Jobs: May 2019
- Bay Crossings: June 2019
- Sea Level Rise: September 2019
Expand Your Horizon
MTC and ABAG host public events to discuss the ideas emerging from each of the Perspective Papers. Events are held quarterly in locations around the region. Refer to the information below for the time and location of the past and future events.
The Future of Jobs
Monday, May 20, 2019, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
San Mateo Public Library
55 West 3rd Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94402
Regional Growth Strategies
Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 6 to 8 p.m.
City of Hayward, Council Chambers
777 B Street
Hayward, CA 94541
- William Gilchrist, Planning Director, City of Oakland
- Dan Chatman, Associate Professor of City & Regional Planning, UC-Berkeley
- Mashael Majid, Program Director of Equitable Development, Urban Habitat
Toward a Shared Future: Strategies to Reduce Congestion
Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 6 to 8 p.m.
WeWork Valley Towers
75 East Santa Clara Street
San Jose, CA 95113
- Jeffrey Ang-Olsen, ICF Consulting
- Asha Weinstein Agrawal, Professor, San Jose State University
- Ramses Madou, Department of Transportation, City of San Jose
- Barbara Laurenson, MTC and ABAG
- Krute Singa, MTC and ABAG
Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 5 to 7 p.m.
Bay Area Metro Center, Yerba Buena Conference Room
375 Beale Street San Francisco, CA 94105
- Will Baumgardner, Principal Planner at Arup
- Ratna Amin, Transportation Policy Director at SPUR
- Dan Sperling, Professor at the University of California, Davis
- Bert Kaufman, Head of Corporate and Regulatory Affairs at Zoox