Transit 2050+ aims to lay the foundation for a service-oriented, fiscally constrained transit network plan for the Bay Area.
MTC is working closely with the region’s transit operators on Transit 2050+ — a parallel long-range planning effort to Plan Bay Area 2050+ that will develop a first-of-its-kind plan to re-envision the future of the public transit network in the nine-county Bay Area.
Rapid changes in commute patterns brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as significant reductions in anticipated transit revenues through 2050, demand a comprehensive overhaul of the six transit-related strategies included in Plan Bay Area 2050.
Transit 2050+ will be responsible for updating these transit strategies with the goal of creating a comprehensive regional transit network concept. When finalized, this Transit 2050+ network concept will be incorporated into the Plan Bay Area 2050+ Final Blueprint in 2024.
Transit 2050+ had its origins in two previous planning efforts:
- The Transit Transformation Action Plan, which aims to improve the Bay Area’s public transportation network to create a more user-friendly and connected system.
- The Plan Bay Area 2050 Implementation Plan, which identified the development of a new transit modal plan known as the Connected Network Plan (CNP). The CNP would take a service-oriented approach to creating an aspirational transit vision for the Bay Area.
By considering and combining the goals of both plans, Transit 2050+ can re-imagine a Bay Area public transit system that is service-based, hub-oriented and fiscally responsible.
December 2022 Staff Report to the Joint MTC Planning Committee with the ABAG Administrative Committee
June 2023 Staff Report to the Policy Advisory Council’s Transit Transformation Action Plan Subcommittee
July 2023 Staff Report to the Joint MTC Planning Committee with the ABAG Administrative Committee
Phase 1: Spring/Summer 2023
- Draft goals and outcomes, network definition
- Existing conditions, needs, gaps and opportunities
- Performance assessment methodology and approach
Phase 2: Summer 2023 through Spring 2024
- Project performance assessment for Plan Bay Area 2050+
- Develop transit network concepts
- Performance assessment of transit network concepts
Phase 3: Summer 2024
- Recommended transit network concept
- Transit 2050+ integration into Plan Bay Area 2050+ Final Blueprint
Phase 4: Fall 2024 through Spring 2025
- Transit 2050+ supplemental report