Spare the Air Youth
Spare the Air Youth educates and inspires Bay Area youth and their families to walk, bicycle, carpool and take transit to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Spare the Air Youth is a partnership between MTC and the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (Air District).
The Spare the Air Youth program is designed for K-12 students and their families. Currently, MTC funds:
- Family Biking Workshops, which are run locally by each county’s bicycle coalition
- The Bay Area BikeMobile, which brings free bike repair to local schools and communities
- Additional programs to expand the high school Safe Routes to School program
Leslie Lara-Enríquez, Spare the Air Youth Program Manager
Phone: (415) 778-5258
The Spare the Air Youth program hosts a quarterly Technical Advisory Committee (TAC). The TAC brings together providers who implement transportation-, climate- or air quality-focused youth programs throughout the Bay Area. The TAC is open to relevant program practitioners from the nine-county Bay Area.
A highlight of the Spare the Air Youth program is the annual Youth for the Environment and Sustainability (YES) conference. The YES conference is a full-day event where middle- and high-school students from around the Bay Area come together to:
- Discuss transportation issues
- Learn how their decisions can impact climate change
- Discuss solutions to the climate crisis
- Share ways of encouraging others to walk, bike, take transit or carpool to school