Express Lanes Policies
Read the policies that apply to the operation of MTC Express Lanes.
The Metropolitan Transportation Commission’s (MTC’s) Express Lanes are operated by the Bay Area Infrastructure Financing Authority (BAIFA), a joint powers authority between MTC and the Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA). Policies for MTC’s Express Lanes are approved by BAIFA.
Attention: BAIFA Approves Amended Toll Facility Ordinance
On June 22, 2022, BAIFA approved three main changes to its express lanes ordinance, including the ability to carry out pilots (such as a low-income toll discount pilot), the ability to change toll violation penalties and exceptions by board resolution after a public meeting, and defining the Executive Director’s emergency authority.
BAIFA’s amended and restated Toll Facility Ordinance takes effect 30 days after its approval. Until then, the Toll Facility Ordinance approved September 23, 2020 remains in effect.
- Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment in English (June 22, 2022)
- Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment in Spanish (June 22, 2022)
- Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment in Chinese (June 22, 2022)
For more information, read the below fact sheets:
- Fact Sheet: Proposed MTC Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment (Fact sheet in Spanish, fact sheet in Chinese, fact sheet in Vietnamese)
- Fact Sheet: Proposed I-880 Express Lanes Toll Discount Pilot (Discount Pilot in Spanish, Discount Pilot in Chinese, Discount Pilot in Vietnamese)
For detailed ordinance text and certifications:
- Proposed MTC Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment (Amendment in Spanish, Amendment in Chinese)
- Toll Ordinance Certification Documents
Public Comment Period is Closed
Public comments were accepted from April 20, 2022 through 5 p.m. on May 24, 2022 via survey, mail and email, as well as at a Public Hearing on May 25, 2022. BAIFA received a total of 1,747 public comments in English, Spanish and Chinese.
Background on MTC’s Public Process
MTC follows a public process so the public can learn about proposed changes to its toll facility ordinance and provide comments prior to an adoption vote. The public process included:
- Information items at the November 17, 2021 and March 23, 2022 BAIFA meetings
- Public notices in major newspapers of five Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco, Santa Clara and Solano), plus Spanish and Chinese newspapers
- MTC press release about the opportunity to provide public comment (read the press release in Spanish, read the press release in Chinese or read the press release in Vietnamese)
- Social media campaign to encourage public comment (in English, Spanish and Chinese)
- Public hearing at the May 25, 2022 BAIFA meeting where the public can comment in person to BAIFA Commissioners
- After a staff presentation that includes a summary of public comments, an adoption vote at the June 22, 2022 BAIFA meeting
Current Toll Facility Ordinance
The ordinance establishes express lane tolls, a toll collection process and civil penalties for the evasion of tolls on BAIFA’s express lanes. The Toll Facility Ordinance currently in effect was approved by BAIFA on September 23, 2020.
- Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment in English (September 23, 2020)
- Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment in Spanish (September 23, 2020)
- Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment in Chinese (September 23, 2020)