The Metropolitan Transportation Commission’s (MTC’s) Express Lanes are operated by the Bay Area Infrastructure Financing Authority (BAIFA), a joint powers authority between MTC and the Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA). As such, policies for MTC’s Express Lanes are approved by BAIFA.
Attention: MTC Amended its Toll Facility Ordinance on September 23, 2020
MTC amended its Toll Facility Ordinance, which takes effect on October 23, 2020. The amendment establishes the express lane tolling policy for MTC’s future I-680 Express Lane Extension (southbound from Martinez through Walnut Creek), which will join up with MTC’s existing I-680 Express Lanes (southbound from Walnut Creek to Dublin), creating a continuous 23-mile express lane in Contra Costa County. The I-680 Express Lane Extension is scheduled to begin tolling in early 2021.
- Read the Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment in English (also available in Spanish and Chinese) (September 23, 2020)
MTC followed a public process prior to adoption by BAIFA so the public could learn about the tolling policies proposed in the amendment and provide comments over a 30-day period. All written comments were due to MTC by September 9, 2020; the public comment period is now closed. The detailed list of Comments received was summarized for BAIFA Commissioners prior to the adoption vote. The public process included:
- Information item at the July 22, 2020 BAIFA meeting
- Public notice in major newspapers of four Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco and Solano), plus Spanish and Chinese newspapers in August 2020
- MTC press release to alert the public and the media of the opportunity to provide comments
- Summary Information in English (also available in Spanish and Chinese) about the proposed tolling policies and how the I-680 Express Lane Extension will open first as an HOV 2+ lane and later as an Express Lane, plus the ability to rate the effectiveness of the public information materials
- Ability to submit written comments by email or by mail
- Public hearing at the September 23, 2020 BAIFA meeting where members of the public were able to make a comment in person to BAIFA Commissioners
- After a staff presentation including a summary of public comment and staff’s response, adoption at the September 23, 2020 BAIFA meeting
Current Toll Facility Ordinance (until October 23, 2020)
The ordinance establishes express lane tolls, a toll collection process and civil penalties for the evasion of tolls on BAIFA’s express lanes. An amended and restated Toll Facility Ordinance was approved by BAIFA on January 22, 2020 and supersedes the original.
- Toll Facility Ordinance (January 22, 2020)
- Toll Ordinance Certification Documents
- Updated Certifications for BATA Res. 52, Revised