The Metropolitan Transportation Commission’s (MTC’s) Express Lanes are operated by the Bay Area Infrastructure Financing Authority (BAIFA), a joint powers authority between MTC and the Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA). As such, policies for MTC’s Express Lanes are approved by BAIFA.
Toll Facility Ordinance
- Toll Facility Ordinance (July 27, 2016)
- Toll Facility Ordinance (January 22, 2020)
MTC followed a public process prior to approval by BAIFA. The public process included:
- Information item at the October 23, 2019 BAIFA meeting;
- Public notice in five Bay Area counties’ major newspapers (Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Solano), plus Spanish and Chinese newspapers, in November 2019
- Online open house for the public to watch a short video to learn about the proposed tolling policies
- Two staffed open houses in the I-880 freeway corridor for one-on-one discussion and the ability to submit written comments:
- December 3, 2019 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Kennedy Community Center; 1333 Decoto Rd; Union City, CA 94587
- December 11, 2019 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.: San Lorenzo Library in the Greenhouse Community Room; 395 Paseo Grande; San Lorenzo, CA 94580
- Public hearing at the December 18, 2019 BAIFA meeting where members of the public could submit a comment in person to BAIFA
- Ability to submit comments through a short survey, by mail or by email from November 18, 2019 through December 18, 2019 at 5 p.m.
- Approval of the amended and restated Toll Facility Ordinance at the January 22, 2020 BAIFA meeting.