The Metropolitan Transportation Commission’s (MTC’s) Express Lanes are operated by the Bay Area Infrastructure Financing Authority (BAIFA), a joint powers authority between MTC and the Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA). As such, policies for MTC’s Express Lanes are approved by BAIFA.
Attention: Proposed Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment
MTC is amending its Toll Facility Ordinance. The amendment will establish the express lane tolling policy for MTC’s future I-680 Express Lane Extension (southbound from Martinez through Walnut Creek), which will join up with MTC’s existing I-680 Express Lanes (southbound from Walnut Creek to Dublin), creating a continuous 23-mile express lane in Contra Costa County. The I-680 Express Lane Extension is scheduled to begin tolling in early 2021.
- Read the proposed Toll Facility Ordinance Amendment in English (also available in Spanish and Chinese) (September 23, 2020)
MTC is following a public process prior to adoption by BAIFA so the public can learn about the tolling policies proposed in the amendment and provide comments over a 30-day period. All written comments were due to MTC by September 9, 2020; the public comment period is now closed. The detailed list of Comments received will be summarized for BAIFA Commissioners prior to an adoption vote. The public process includes:
- Information item at the July 22, 2020 BAIFA meeting
- Public notice in major newspapers of four Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco and Solano), plus Spanish and Chinese newspapers in August 2020
- MTC press release to alert the public and the media of the opportunity to provide comments
- Summary Information in English (also available in Spanish and Chinese) about the proposed tolling policies and how the I-680 Express Lane Extension will open first as an HOV 2+ lane and later as an Express Lane, plus the ability to rate the effectiveness of the public information materials
- Ability to submit written comments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to MTC’s Public Information Office at 375 Beale Street, Suite 800, San Francisco, CA 94105 (Please reference “BAIFA Toll Ordinance” as the subject)
- Public hearing at the September 23, 2020 BAIFA meeting where members of the public can make a comment in person to BAIFA Commissioners
- After a staff presentation, proposed adoption at the September 23, 2020 BAIFA meeting