Bay Area Express Lanes are carpool lanes that are free for carpools, buses, motorcycles and other eligible vehicles. Solo motorists — who choose to pay a toll — can use express lanes, too!
Express lane tolls are collected electronically via FasTrak® - no stopping at toll booths!
Newer Express Lanes, including those that opened in 2017 on I-680 between Walnut Creek and San Ramon, and the I-580 Express Lanes through Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore, require carpoolers to use FasTrak Flex® for toll-free travel. Visit Bay Area FasTrak to learn more!
Some express lanes operate all day, while others operate during commute hours only.
Overhead electronic signs display the toll rates. As traffic increases, tolls increase. And as traffic decreases, tolls decrease.
Bay Area Express Lanes improve mobility and enhance travel options by:
- Making use of available space in existing carpool lanes to move more people;
- Improving operations in existing carpool lanes through better enforcement and strategies to prevent lane slowdowns;
- Giving everyone the choice to carpool for free or pay for a more reliable trip when it really matters; and
- Filling gaps in the carpool lane system to encourage more carpools, vanpools and buses.
The growing Bay Area Express Lanes network now totals 73 lane-miles, including:
- I-580 through Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore
- I-680 southbound from Sunol to Milpitas
- I-680 between San Ramon and Walnut Creek
- State Route 237 in Milpitas and San Jose
Upcoming additions to the network include:
- I-880 between Oakland and Milpitas
- I-680 north from Milpitas to Sunol
- State Route 85 between Mountain View and south San Jose
Development of the Bay Area Express Lanes network is a cooperative effort. Bay Area Express Lanes are operated by:
- Alameda County Transportation Commission
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA)
Additional partners helping to develop, implement and operate Bay Area Express Lanes include:
- California Highway Patrol
- California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)
- Contra Costa Transportation Authority
- Solano Transportation Authority